Uncle Lothar


When I was a toddler, no more than five I'd say, I met my Uncle Lothar. It was the first and only time I had seen him. To my memory he was devilish in appearance, but as I said I was young, and he had been arguing with my father, who himself wasn't a very large man. I remember my mother scooping me up to take me to my room, while my Father and Uncle howled at each other for a very long time. Apparently my father had taken a book from my Uncle, and if he didn't return it, Uncle Lothar was prepared to tear the house down around our ears. My father claimed he didn't have it, so while my mother tried to distract me with a lesson, Lothar began to make good his threat. It was poorly hidden, and readily found behind a bookshelf, and with a last bout of words that almost came to blows, Lothar took his book, and returned from whence he came.
Now, this night, when I was going to transcribe the unbelievable happenings of the day, I find instead I have received a letter, that I have folded and left, here in my journal. Hopefully it will still be there when whomever is going over my history, turns to this page.
Tomorrow I will ask for leave, and hopefully take my newfound companions to see this estate.
Orthos Sudlow
College of High Summoning
Freybourne, Kauhedl

Dear Sir:
It is with deep regret that I write to inform you of the passing of your great uncle, Lothar Sudlow, from this world, as I have neither seen nor heard from him for several weeks since he began his most recent experiment.
I do not believe you two were close, as I served him for many years and he mentioned your name but once. Regardless, it would seem that you are now the sole heir to his estate.
Master Lothar practiced magicks far beyond my ken. Shortly before his disappearance, he expressly forbade me from entering the manor house without his permission. I have been faithful to his wishes, but by law the residence and all its contents are rightfully yours.
You are welcome to claim them, if you can. You may inquire in Dale-Town.
Yours in service,
Henricus Finch

5 comments:

HomoDM said...

Orthos is awakened by dowdy chambermaid knocking softly on the door.

"Begging your pardon, young sir, but there is breakfast for you and your companions in the courtyard."

Orthos said...

Orthos dresses and grooms himself, quickly, but respectably. He then takes the letter he recieved to present to Philostrato in his office, in order to make arrangements for leave time.

HomoDM said...

Philostrato reads the letter and expresses his condolences to Orthos. "Take as much time as you need, lad, but don't stay away too long. Your studies must remain a priority!"

"Which reminds me: we had recently received a book on the Art of binding from a donor, and I had set it aside for you to read, but I seem to have misplaced it. Perhaps I accidentally filed it in the library already. Let me know if you run across it, won't you?"

Orthos said...

"I recently received a tome from Qroc, on the art of binding, perhaps they are one and the same?"

HomoDM said...

"Qroc?" He groans. "Well then, no doubt they are one and the same. Thank you for informing me, Orthos. Please return the book once you have finished with it. And be careful! It is very old and exceptionally rare."